Thursday, May 21, 2009

Not Much Worth Noting...

Not much worth noting this morning. I had a new bus strategy yesterday. Kelsey and I were in Woolloongabba for her second job interview and decided to try taking a bus to Fortitude Valley. I knew most of the buses would pass through Cultural Center Busway and I knew which bus to take from there so I just hopped on the first bus that looked like it was going downtown. Most of them go through Cultural Center so I figured my chances were pretty good. Victory is mine! That bus dropped us where I thought it would and we hopped on the right bus and magically got off at the right stop (okay, fine, so a passenger and the driver helped too....) and walked the two blocks to Ben's office:) Same strategy on the way home. I won't try that all the time but it was nice to learn a couple new routes.

While waiting for Kelsey I had lunch at a little cafe. There must be a dozen cafes per street around here. Anyway, I had a BLT. They are divine. You know how you know a burger is good if it's messy? Well, the BLT was like that. I must have looked insane eating it. My eyes were probably bugging out of my head as I slurped the tomatoes and snarfed down that sandwich. I know I must have been making those silly noises I make when I'm eating something yummy. Oh it was soooo good. The good thing about not knowing anyone here is that I don't have to worry about someone I know seeing me so messy. hehe. Oh, but, mental note.....never accept the Lipton Iced Tea in a bottle flavored with Peach. ICK. That was not divine.

The ferries and CityCats stopped running at dusk last night. I can only assume it was because of debris in the water. Kelsey and I were lucky to catch the last ferry home. ACK! That would have been a lot of walking trying to find the right bus stop if we had missed it.

When the man came to fix the dryer yesterday, we were chatting about the rain. He said it was the worst rain they'd had in seventeen years. I thought he was joking. He wasn't. That's what it said in the newspaper, too! Horrible flooding and people literally being blown across the street. Literally an 8.5 mos. supply of water in 24 hours. I believe that technically, the drought is over but they are not lifting the water restrictions yet.

2 comments:

  1. am loving catching up with you this way! it sounds like an exciting albeit exhausting adventure. having just finished my classes and facing weeks with nothing more to do than waitress one night and read tarot cards every other saturday afternoon, and garden and lie in the sun inbetween, i'm totally wiped out just reading about your ferry and bus trips, your market explorations, your encounters with various stinky people, your expensive restaurants (eeep!), your crappy dryers and kelsey's employment prospects.
    glad you found a place, have comfy beds and internet!
    dunno if you have my blog, but here it is in case you're interested (although i update all too rarely.)
    http://neowiccan.livejournal.com/
    miss ya, beauty!
    :) khaire
    suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the food descriptions. Keep these coming. I need adventure in my life (even if it is vicariously!)

    ReplyDelete