Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday

One quick post before the weekend...

Wednesday was my mammogram and ultrasound. Today was my follow-up appointment with the doctor. I had to leave the house at 8am to catch an 8:15 bus to get to my 9am appt and arrived 20 minutes early. Oh well, that's the price we pay for public transportation;-) Glorious, wonderful news- No biopsy, just show up again in six mos. for an ultrasound to watch a fibroid adenoma that they found. My knees were weak with relief.

I stopped by IGA on my way home. I knew they delivered but I didn't know the fee. Turns out it's only $5.00. What a bargain! I promptly loaded up the grocery cart with all kinds of heavy stuff. I paid almost $20 for a watermelon. Don't be shocked. It's for medicinal purposes. Okay, FINE, it's for mental health purposes. I'm gonna lose my mind if I don't get some decent watermelon soon. Sadly, this was not the decent watermelon I was hoping for....this one wasn't ripe at all and will be going straight into the trash. But, I don't have breast cancer so if that watermelon is the worst thing to happen to me this week, then "Praise God".

The more progress I make on the unpacking, the messier it seems to get in here. All our stuff is multiplying when I'm not looking. And where did all that laundry come from? I blame it on Kelsey. She was off from work this week so we spent an inordinate amount of time at Borders. Breakfast tea and magazines anyone? Why, yes, we'd love to! Magazines from the states cost $15 or more here. Australian magazines can cost as little as $6.95. Luckily, for the price of my cup of tea, I can read as many of them as I want right there in the cafe. That makes me happy.

My iPhone is my new best friend. That's all I need to say about it. But, I'll say more. I LOVE it and I've only begun to scratch the surface of what that little thing can do. I won't mention that I was ready to throw it at the wall today after fiddling around with trying to set up my iTunes account for over 40 minutes. The problem? It would not accept my phone number. The area code here is 07 or 04. It insisted on a three digit area code. I called the store we got it from and he suggested a few different ideas until we hit upon....just rearrange the numbers so that it looks like an American phone number. It was strange since the phone asked me where I was located and I said "Australia". I prefer my technology to work without my having to put any actual thought into it, thank you very much.

I miss my mom terribly. She's sick right now and I wish I was there to help her. Though realistically, there's absolutely nothing I can do to fix anything there. The phone rang this evening at 8pm and my heart skipped a beat. Thank God it was a telemarketer and not bad news from the States.

By Monday, it's supposed to be 75 degrees. I will be doing a celebratory dance in the afternoon if anyone would like to join me. Too bad I don't have a tambourine.

Vinnies is a resale shop here similar to Goodwill but significantly more expensive. Kelsey and I popped into one of the shops the other day and found several things. I found several really cute tops...very bohemian....and they ranged in price from $9 to $15. Thrift Score!!!! Woohoo! Then we popped into Tree of Life one afternoon. Their prices are really good compared to most of the places here and I found 3 adorable dresses and one smokin' hot shirt. http://www.treeoflife.com.au/
Yes, I'm aware that I went in there looking for winter clothes and walked out with a sundress and a short sleeved shirt. It WILL eventually be summer here so don't judge me. I know I've been very cold lately and been complaining a lot. But, I promise, I'll get out the hot water bottle, fill it up and crawl up under a quilt. Really, I can get by with the same freakin' winter shirts I've been wearing for weeks since I only bought new summer tops to bring with me to Brisbane. Now I shall stop whinging about my boring winter wardrobe and move on....

It's almost a full moon tonight and the way it shines on the river is breathtaking.

Hopefully, we'll go some where this weekend worth photographing and I'll be able to post some photos next week. I know we'll be going to the Farmer's Market but beyond that....who knows.

4 comments:

  1. You ain't just a whistlin' Dixie, my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is no watermelon worth $20. i have about 4 ripening on the vine outside. i'll eat one of 'em with your pic nearby in your honor.
    i'm blissing about your great checkup!!! how's the new boobicle doing these days? settled into normalcy?
    will send reiki to your mom.
    khairete
    suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you:) At least someone will be getting good watermelon.

    All settling into normalcy. I don't notice it much at all anymore and that's good enough for me:)

    Thanks also for the reiki...even though I only saw her about once a year, I'm really missing her these days.

    ReplyDelete