Friday, July 3, 2009

Just a few random things that are either bugging me or I feel deserve a mention because they are so absurd.

Last night, I threw a few things in the dryer...on high heat....set the timer for 30 minutes. When Ben got up this morning at about 8am, the dryer was still going. Wonder what our electric bill will be?

The dishwasher has a cool rack for plates. The plates from the rental company fit so nicely. Ours don't....they have to go on the other side of the dishwasher. It messes up the idea of fitting an evenings worth of dishes in there. Plus it bugs me.

The kitchen sink is small. I spill water on the floor every single day when I clean the juicer. You'd think I'd learn.

The water in the shower goes from comfortable to boiling to cold with almost no warning. I fear that one day I'm going to throw myself through the glass walls of the shower trying to save my skin. The water gets seriously hot. I can run water over tomoatoes in the kitchen and then easily slip off the skins after just a few moments. One night I was thawing out some hamburger meat using water straight from the faucet. Not only did it thaw, it cooked.

We got our first phone bill. For your flat monthly rate, apparently you get nothing. (Well, I suppose you get local calls to phones that are not mobiles). Now, brace yourself....for every call, there is a connection fee. On top of that there is a per minute charged that is based on the type of phone you are calling. If you are calling a Telstra mobile, it's a bit cheaper than calling a non-Telstra mobile. But, there are caps on how much they will charge unless it's a non-Telstra mobile. You only get a certain number of phone calls to home phones included in your montly fee....then they also incur additional fees. What I just typed there doesn't even begin to explain all the charges and exceptions. It gives me a headache. Thank God the cable tv system is pretty straightforward. Though they can't seem to get my tv guide here on time. Nobody's perfect. I love our DVR. I suppose recording the shows means we're missing some of the funny Australian Commercials. Some of them aren't so funny though. They take their anti-smoking campaign very seriously here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rSrrSTW0UU Warning, that video is gross.

We went to Borders last night to hang out in the cafe. Here it's a Gloria Jeans instead of a Seattle's Best. The store was much larger than I originally thought...three stories instead of two. I missed my old job until I saw someone shelving books, then I got over it really quick.

Today has been a day of unpacking boxes and doing laundry. The apartment is starting to resemble a home rather than a warehouse full of boxes and random crap laying all over the place. I can't wait until we're finished.

1 comment: