Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Weekend

I thought I would roast a chicken for dinner. But first I have to look up how many grams are in a kilo and what temperature to cook it when I convert it to Celsius. And how do I tell when this oven is preheated?

The sun has been out all day. But, I'm not fooled. The only thing keeping it from raining is my complete refusal to set foot outside today at all. I'm making the sacrifice. I'm staying indoors so that the rest of Brisbane can enjoy the beautiful day. (Shhh, don't tell but I did sit out on the porch for most of the morning but I don't think the sun could see me.)

Over the weekend, we went over to Greenfest at the City Botanical Garden a couple of times. Food, food glorious food. I had the single best doughnut I've ever had in my entire life....I just kept thanking Jesus for it. Benji and Kelsey met some other teens there to watch the concerts. We met them later and bought practice poi and a "fire stick/baton thingy" for Benji. I'm sure his has another name but I've got to get this chicken in the oven so will have to look it up later. (I think he's discovered a new passion and they will be both be going to some new groups that meet for fire dancing soon). The Hare Krishnas were serving huge plates of vegetarian food for a measly 10 bucks so Kelsey had that. Benji and some of the other boys made their way out of the park to go to Hungry Jacks (equivalent of Burger King). Kelsey said that she and R. were dancing at one of the concerts and a lady came dancing up to them saying "You girls are soooo beeauuutiiiifuuullll!!!!". Ben and I explored the park and it is lovely. Several beautiful areas for weddings, a lagoon full of water lilies and birds, just overall lovely quietness right in the city.

Sunday morning, we woke up to beautiful skies. But, I'm no dummy. I layered up shirts, put on jeans....my only concession to the lovely weather was that I put on sandals. Well, that was enough. We headed out to the Northey Street Farmer's Market and didn't even make it to the ferry before the clouds moved in and the rain started coming down. But, food must be purchased so we went anyway. My feet were freezing!!!!! We had breakfast at the market....rice with cream, orange zest, pistachios, sultanas, goji berries and whipped cream. I wanted to weep it was so yummy. We also have little mini pancake balls with vanilla custard, waffles with eggs and bacon, chai, and a flat white. MMMM! We bought so much produce that I don't know how we got it all home. Ben can probably tell you though since he was the one lugging it all back.

Afterwards, I wanted to finish up the grocery shopping by heading to the real grocery store. What an exercise in frustration. Pecans? No. Shelled pistachios? No. Steel cut oats? No.

Sunday night was a free comedy show at the Suncorp Piazza at South Bank. We should have arrived earlier. We did get in but I tell ya, I was afraid there for a bit that we were going to get all the way up to the door only to be turned away. What a great show! We laughed and laughed and laughed. I even got some of the Queensland jokes. We saw Charlie Pickering who is very, very funny. The Kransky Sisters who were funny but a little too quiet...I kept missing things. Tripod was a comedy trio that we really enjoyed. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1329362959167995041 You must watch them! We had to laugh because when certain comics were introduced, the crowd went completely wild. We had no idea who any of these people were (except Charlie, I did see him on a game show one night but I thought he was just a contestant). I stayed up until 11pm. That is the absolute latest I've been up since we arrived in Australia! But, my gosh, I fell into bed exhausted....a bed never looked so inviting!

Today, Kelsey is off to the Dreaming Festival with some friends. Ben and Benji went to a movie. And I'm here guarding the good weather for us all. This is finally the weather I've been promised. It was probably around 75 degrees today. Not bad for winter. But, I'm not taking off my woolly slippers. I know it's probably just a trick.....

2 comments:

  1. i'm thrilled that the kids are making such awesome friends! sounds like life there pretty much rocks, in a wet cold sorta way.
    love the foodie posts.
    are you making kewl friends too?
    i miss you. i have kvetches. i want to sit down with you over tea and kvetch.
    and yet you are far.
    :P
    khairete
    suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, get on over here!!!! I miss you, too!

    I've met a few people. One woman has put forth quite a bit of effort to include me in activities and that is much appreciated. Several of us from the homeschool group are going to go see a play called "Judith Lucy is Getting Older" and then out to dinner soon. I had lunch with some of the other wives of Ben's co-workers and they were also very nice. Of course, people always think they like me when they first meet me....but sometimes not so much later;-)

    ReplyDelete