Thursday, August 20, 2009

Books

I've discovered an Australian author that I really like! Steven Amsterdam. His first book is "Things We Didn't See Coming" and I loved it. At first I couldn't figure out if it was one long connected story or if it was a series of short stories. Turns out it's more like a series of connected short stories with the same main character. His writing style leaves so much unsaid...plenty to think about and ponder.

Tim Winton and Christos Tsiolkas are two Australian authors that I'm anxious to read. Christos wrote "The Slap". I requested it from the library today and I'm only 184th on the list. Seriously. I guess I'll get to read it about this time next year? Tim Winton wrote "Breath" and "The Turning". I should be able to get my hands on those a little sooner.

Borders has a book club that meets about once a month and last month's selection was "The Housekeeper and the Professor" by Yoko Ogawa. I was certain I wouldn't like it because the storyline involved two things I dislike....math and baseball. But, honestly, the story was so sweet I was crying by the end. I loved it! It's a short little book and she has the direct style of writing that I prefer.

If possible, everyone needs to get their hands on any of the "Bigfoot" books by Graham-Roumieu.

http://www.amazon.com/Graham-Roumieu/e/B001IGM0YO/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Click on the covers to see inside the books....I especially liked "Bigfoot: I Not Dead". Kelsey and I were looking at them the other day and I was nearly in tears from laughing. I thought they were so original and clever.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendations! I will look to see what books my lucky town library has. Bigfoot made me giggle. Have a nice day!!

    ReplyDelete