Thursday, August 13, 2009

Welcome to Australia, I Hope You're Not Thirsty

This is a takeaway flat white. Size Large. They usually cost between $3.80 and $4.70 depending on where you buy it. But, it was delicious. We ordered a small the other day and it was the size of one of the kiddie cups we used to get at McDonalds in the U.S.

When I go to a cafe and order tea it comes in a cute little teapot. I usually ask for a glass of ice. Sometimes they don't understand me because "why would I want a glass of ice?". I simply must be saying something else. Anyway, sitting in the cafe with my little teapot, it feels like a lot more tea than a takeaway tea. But, it could be that it just feels that way because it's a tiny mug and I get to keep refilling it from the teapot.

One exception is at Three Monkeys where the cups of chai are massive. And by massive, I mean soup bowl size. Oh and I just remembered another exception, the Gloria Jeans cafe at Borders has really large sized larges....I can sit there with that tea for a full afternoon reading magazines and people watching! They are located at an intersection where there's almost always a busker providing entertainment. Sometimes, the term entertainment is being used very losely but not every day can be perfect. The other day there was a fellow singing with great enthusiam but it was dreadful. And his partner was clapping along with the music but was completely offbeat. It caused a strange discomfort to watch it. I wonder if he earned any money. When the light changes, massive amounts of people come walking by the window unaware that they are being observed. Every now and then there's an odd bird who walks up to the window where we are sitting and presses his face against it or bangs his drumsticks on it or just says "Hello". We don't know why they do this. Aren't city people fun?

There is no lack of cafes here and for that, I'm grateful.....Even if they mostly serve kid sized portions;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment