Thursday, August 13, 2009

Homeschooling Activities

The homeschool group here has some great activities. Last week was archery. We couldn't find a hat for Benji in time to catch our bus so he opted just to take sunglasses. We slathered on sunscreen but since I was in the shade, I offered him my hat...he took it because honestly, being shaded from the sun is important. Notice that the hat is on backwards. Afterward, we all went to a nearby park for lunch. I didn't see Benji all day but when I did see him, I discovered that he'd hurt his toe. Significantly. Luckily we had a ride to the train station as buses didn't even go out to the place we were at that day. By the time, we got out of the train station, it was obvious that we were not getting home by public transport based on the speed that he could walk. I was concerned that his toe was broken because it was turning an ugly shade of blackish purple and swelling in that gross way that injured toes swell. So, we grabbed a taxi and he was pretty well incapacitated for the next few days. By Sunday, he was able to walk well enough to help me with the Northy Street Farmer's Market but really wasn't fully back to normal until about Wednesday. I'm so glad it wasn't broken. He wouldn't have been able to go anywhere for so long!

Yesterday's homeschool group activity was "survival skills". We ended up in Ashgrove in a gorgeous preserve with no bathroom facilities. When we first arrived, we saw a kookaburra but I don't know that he was in an "old gum tree". One of the dad's had set up a "plane crash" site and the kids were the survivors. They treated wounds and injuries. They built a stretcher from bamboo. They learned how to get water. There was loads of fake blood made from chocolate. I only really saw Benji when it was time to eat because he was having an absolute blast with his friends:) I sat on my little blanket and chatted with the other parents. When someone would drive somewhere for any reason, I'd catch a ride to go to the toilet knowing that if I didn't that by the time they got back, I'd be wishing I'd gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment