Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Camping at Bigriggen-Day 2


Day 2 found me awake at 5am scrambling to get to the toilet. OMG, it was a long walk. On the walk back though we saw 5 wallabies (I assume...it's not like I'm Australian or anything so I could be wrong). Being American, we thought this was pretty darn cool.

Breakfast was bacon, egg and cheese on an english muffin. My favourite camp breakfast. I figured I'd better get organised so I started sorting everything while it was still cool out. Leanne had given me a brand new sharp as a razor knife and don't you know, the first thing it cut was my finger! OUCH! She had gone out for a hike and there I was at the campsite by myself wondering if the sight of my own finger dripping a disgusting amount of blood was going to make me pass out. Thankfully, I didn't. I scrambled around trying to find the band-aids I knew I'd brought but, of course, I couldn't find them because I wasn't organised YET. I borrowed a band-aid from Suzanne and since she had small children, the bandages were yellow with red and blue balloons. I told her that oddly enough, they did make my boo boo feel better!

Wound bandaged, I sat down and had a nice cup of dandelion tea and wished the toilet was closer. (This wishing the toilet was closer is gonna be a theme, trust me.)

After nearly two years of living here, I still couldn't believe my luck. I mean, there I was sitting in a Australian campground, listening to birds that I couldn't name, looking at trees I can only vaguely identify, sipping tea and enjoying a cool breeze. I'm not sure I could even stand it if my life got any better!

I managed to cut another finger later in the day. I have no idea how. I wasn't even near a knife.

Benji and I spent some time playing a trivia game and then he went off to the kiosk to buy some marshmallows since I had totally forgotten to buy that camp necessity. Oops. Then he went off to gather some firewood, singing songs and generally just being his normal happy self.

I was ready for bed by 8pm but Benji invited me to sit by the campfire with him. That's certainly an invitation I can't refuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment