Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Camping at Bigriggen-Days 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7


Nothing like a stinking hot day to make you appreciate your .40 cents/4 minutes worth of water in the shower each evening. And an evening breeze.

Many more families arrived on our third day. Benji enjoyed having more people there and was soon tubing down the rapids. It was great to see friends we hadn't seen in a while.

Leanne had me drive her car to the pick up point for the hikers. Turns out I CAN drive a manual transmission car here even with the gearshift on the wrong side of the car. I have to admit I was pretty proud of myself. Gotta take my kudos where I can, right?

Unbelievably, there's a damn fish in the swimming hole that bites hard enough to draw blood. Just when I think I've asked every question possible, I find out something like this. Everyone assured me it doesn't hurt much but I suspect that Australians are made of tougher stuff than the average person, especially if I'm that average person.

On the fourth night, I found a little spider on my mattress in the tent. I nearly crapped my pants. Probably harmless but how would I know? Needless to say, the little fella went to meet his maker. No memorial service is planned.

Sing along by the campfire was fun. Benji was totally in his element and it made me happy to see him enjoying himself so much.

Casey saw a yellow-faced whip snake. So glad it was him and not me. I would have been terrified. When he told me about it, I thought he was joking since it had such an unusual name.

On the fifth day, I finally went swimming. Everyone assured me that the fish bites were only happening in one area. The theory was that it was an eel tailed catfish and they are territorial so as long as we stay out of their territory, they will leave us alone. By this day, Benji was ready to leave so he gets a ride the next day with Casey.

Leanne and I saw a red bellied black snake. Luckily we were in the car. But, I was pleased to see that it was so easy to identify. I've been assured they are not aggressive. Small comfort.

My last day there was spent moving from shady spot to shady spot chatting with my friends. Sometime during the night a possum decided to use the area behind my tent for a toilet. OMG, what a stench. I don't have words to describe it.


No comments:

Post a Comment